We’re going to wrap up the roller coaster that was 2016 with a final link roundup. The thing I’m most amused by? The fact that we were going to have this huge push for pre-produced dramas in order to cash in on the Chinese money, only to watch more than one of the (half-)pre-produced shows tank and have an international incident that has resulted in an unofficial ban on Korean entertainment in China.
- The Park Geun-hye saga: “Ex-Park Aide’s, Culture Minister’s Homes Raided,” “Political awakening of teens,” “Pension fund chief detained for favoring Samsung merger,” “Interpol to Put Choi Soon-sil’s Daughter on Wanted List,” “New party sways between reform and conservatism,” “Quack Clinics Raided in Park Scandal,” “National Assembly to convene first plenary session since Saenuri split,” and “S. Korea court says Park won’t testify in impeachment trial.” Of these, you should definitely check out “Political awakening of teens,” which discusses everything from lowering the voting age to the Sewol Ferry Disaster to the protests against Park.
- “Record-breaking 17m foreign tourists expected this year.” Chinese tourists are doing just under half of the visiting.
- “New tomb of Baekje Dynasty discovered in Seoul.” The article is from November 30th, and it gives a little overview of what they’d found up to that point in time.
- “Judiciary, Law School Faculty, and Law Firms Are All Filled with Men?” A personal essay about sexism in high school, law school, and the workforce.
- “Yoo Ah In’s military enlistment postponed again due to past injury.” I wonder what will happen if he never does end up serving.
- “My Shy Boss, starring Park Hye Soo and Yeon Woo Jin.” It’s going to be a DF exclusive.
- “‘Reply 1988’ Revealed To Have Topped Cable Channel Ratings For 2016.” They got over 15%, which easily surpassed some of the ratings for the big three. Congrats to them.
- “China’s LETV Unilaterally Decides To Stop Simultaneous Broadcasts For ‘Hwarang.'” More THAAD/entertainment ban fallout, looks like.
Wishing you all a safe and happy new year!