This was supposed to be my week of catching up, but sudden family things put the brakes on my ambition. Oh well, here’s hoping next week is more productive.
- The Pyeongchang Olympics: “Online Abuse Repeated at PyeongChang after Short Track Race,” “British IOC member assaults security guard in PyeongChang,” “S. Korean ‘curleesis’ score surprise wins against Canada, Switzerland,” “NBC Sports analyst issues late apology after offending Koreans,” “Korean Olympic athletes mark Lunar New Year with joint traditional ceremony,” and “Skeleton champion hoping to see more S. Koreans on podium in future.”
- The Park Geun-hye saga: “Choi Soon-sil hit with 20 year prison sentence in government interference case.”
- Investigations into the Lee Myung-bak government: “Ex-Samsung vice head to be summoned.”
- Seo Ji-hyun, #MeToo, and other related items: “Politicians Support ‘Me Too’: Justice Party Releases an Apology,” “Senior prosecutor arrested for sexual assault,” and “The Kevin Spacey Twist in South Korea’s #MeToo Campaign?”
- “Court finds that South Korean government encouraged prostitution near US military bases.” Among other things, the High Court found that the government had violated the women’s human rights via forced internment facilities and illegal STD treatments.
- “During Lunar New Year holiday, singles stressed most by nagging parents.” Good luck, my friends.
- “Annals of Joseon Dynasty provide more detailed accounts of Kepler’s Supernova.” Mmmm, history and astronomy, two of my favorite things.
- “A School Where We Comment on Each Other’s Appearance as a Greeting—Is It Okay to Leave It This Way?” A teacher discusses body image and the concept of “a woman’s body” and how it impacts her students.
- “2017 Statistics Reveal Lack Of Female Directors And Female Leads In Korean Films.” Unsurprising and also depressing.
- “G-Dragon to enlist on Feb. 27.” Come back safely.
- “Jun. K of boy band 2PM caught for drunk driving.” Yikes.
- “Seo Ye Ji In Talks For Upcoming tvN Drama.” I would very much like to see her on my screen again
and also the age gap is under a decade if LJK accepts, which feels like a goddamn miracle.