Today marks the first anniversary of this blog, which I personally think is pretty cool. I wasn’t sure I’d ever make it this far, but I’m glad it has. Blogging more formally than on tumblr has reinforced a couple things for me (and taught me some new things, too). Here’s a quick look back over the last year for me:
- Blogging regularly means more hits. This one’s obvious, but looking over my year-end stats really hit it home—adding new content daily meant people coming to my site consistently. My absolute best month was October 2016. Currently airing show posts were very popular, but—
- List posts did surprisingly well. I don’t haven’t looked too closely at the numbers, but there were a several list posts that beat out actual commentary. Which is hilarious to me because I typically thought of my list posts as being cheating when I had nothing more coherent to say, but hey. Numbered things are more attractive than my rantings about the same five topics every time a new drama comes around.
- People are still reading my fanfiction. I don’t get a ton of comments, but I’m pleasantly surprised by the number of hits the chapters get. Yay, I have more than three readers! XD
- Link roundups don’t do very well. At least, not many people actually click through to read the articles I’m linking. Oh well. I have fun doing them, so I’ll keep it up. Plus, I like the structure of having Fridays be music, Saturdays be news, and Sundays be fanfiction.
- The drama calendar attracts a lot of strays. The number of people who google X DRAMA episode WHATEVER and wind up at my site is larger than I expected. I hope they’re getting some use out of it.
- It is so much easier to post when I’m watching a show I actually like. Surprise, surprise, but bitter loathing is not a consistent fuel source. I get tired often (like tonight—hello cocktails and video games and books for the rest of the weekend), and I can only imagine that the rest of you get tired of it, too. Now, don’t worry, I’m not about to lie about or censor my feelings toward a drama, but god, it’d be nice if dramaland pitched me some shows I could be enthusiastic about.
- I worry too much about whether or not something has already been done. I’ve honestly had my mind made up about which drama I want to do my first recap for, but every time I think about doing it, I google that X DRAMA + recap and end up being discouraged by the fact that so many others have done it. Get over yourself, Audrey, the internet is filled with redundancy.
- While I like the challenge of long-form commentary, I still struggle with the voice I present to the world. Again, get over yourself, Audrey. For some reason I seem to prize hilarity a great deal despite being remarkably not funny. That’s just not you. Let go of it. The people who stick around are here precisely because of your cranky, irritable commentary and complete willingness to yell at badly behaving male characters as if they could actually hear you.
- I am really bad about creating and maintaining a buffer. This, however, you should not get over. GET BETTER AT IT, DAMMIT.
Anyhow, thanks for sticking with me this past year. <3 Here’s hoping there will be some awesome things in store down the line.