So much has happened since my weekend away that I’m still scrambling to catch up. Here are some interesting things I found in the meantime:
- “The Cultural Politics of Short Skirts and the Social Disciplining of Women in Korea.” There’s some interesting bits in here about femininity and clothing and how it relates to women in South Korea, including a brief look at the 1970s, when police would cut men’s hair and measure women’s skirts.
- “Your complete guide to garbage disposal in South Korea!” Oh god, it is so complicated. (My current apartment complex doesn’t even have a recycling bin, or if they do, it’s nowhere near my building and I’ve never seen it.) Be sure to scroll through the comments, too, because there are some pictures and explanations for how garbage disposal works outside of Seoul.
- “More and more women contributing to buying newlyweds’ first home.” The traditional expectation (that the husband should pay for housing while the woman furnishes the home) is crumbling under rising housing costs. This was a big enough of an issue to be fought over in the drama Can We Get Married?
- “South Korean soldiers have turned to ballet to relax and de-stress.” The soldiers look like they’re having a lot of fun in the pictures. What a cute idea!
- “Shouts, smirks, and song in Cinderella and the Four Knights teaser.” It took some times for this drama to find a home, but from the sound of it, you’ll want to check it out if you like reverse harems and Cinderella stories. So many pretty guys! And dating is expressly forbidden. :/
- “Casting carries on for Woman With a Suitcase with Jeon Hye-bin and Lee Joon.” I’m glad that Lee Joon’s may be returning to dramaland so soon after (what I heard) was a pretty meh previous outing.